So, you're in the market for a new computer desk? You've come to the right place! In this article, we'll give you some great ideas for finding the perfect desk for your needs.
What is your purpose?
First, let's start with the basics: what do you need from a desk? Do you have a lot of gear that needs to be stored away? Or are you looking for something more minimalist? Once you know what you need, it'll be much easier to find a desk that fits your criteria.
If you have a lot of gear, then storage is going to be one of your top priorities. Look for desks with plenty of drawers and shelves. This way, you can keep everything organized and within reach. On the other hand, if you're looking for a more minimalist setup, then you'll want to focus on finding a desk with a clean design. We love the look of simple, sleek desks - they make any workspace feel more modern and stylish.
No matter what your needs are, there's sure to be a computer desk out there that's perfect for you. So start your search today and find the perfect desk for your home office!
What can I use as a computer desk?
To save the money you can make a DIY project that will cost you almost nothing. You can use an old door, window or even a dresser as a computer desk with a little bit of creativity and elbow grease. Check online for some great tutorials on how to turn everyday items into stylish and functional computer desks! Here are some of our favorite DIY computer desk ideas.
Corner DIY gaming desk:
For this project, you'll need an old door, a few pieces of wood, and some L-brackets. First, cut the door down to size and then attach the wood to the top and bottom using the L-brackets. Next, add some shelves to the side for storage, and voila! You've got yourself a great-looking corner desk. Pay attention to such details as sanding the edges of the door and adding a coat of paint or sealant to protect it from water damage.
If you're looking for a more industrial-chic look, then this pipe desk is perfect for you. You'll need some pipes, fittings, and a wooden board (or door) to get started. First, attach the pipes to the board using the fittings. Then, add some shelves (if desired), and voila! You've got yourself a stylish and unique computer desk. Be sure to sand down any sharp edges on the pipes before use.
A minimalist homemade computer desk:
Minimalism is loved by many people because it allows you to focus on what's important - your work. If you're looking for a simple and sleek desk, then this is the perfect project for you. You'll need a door (or a piece of wood), some L-brackets, and a few screws. First, attach the door (or wood) to the wall using the L-brackets. Then, add some shelves to the side for storage, and voila! You've got yourself a great minimalist computer desk. Be careful when choosing your door - make sure it's made of sturdy material that won't bend or break under the weight of your computer.
Concrete countertop computer desk:
As for a DIY project, a concrete computer desk may sound difficult at first, but it's actually quite simple. You'll need a wooden frame, some concrete mix, and a few other supplies. First, build the frame for your desk using wood. Next, mix the concrete and pour it into the frame. Be sure to smooth it out so that it's level. Then, add any desired finishes (paint, etc.), and voila! You've got yourself a stylish and unique concrete computer desk. Note, that the concrete mixture should be non-toxic and safe for indoor use.
Ikea hack standing desk:
If you want a standing desk but don't want to spend a lot of money, then this Ikea hack is perfect for you. You'll need an Ikea table, that you can easily find online or in stores, and a few other supplies. First, assemble the table according to the instructions. Next, add some legs to the table so that it's raised off the ground. Be sure to measure twice and cut once so that the legs are even. As a final step, add any desired finishes (paint, etc.), and that`s it! You've got yourself a great-looking and functional standing desk.
Computer table with planks:
For this DIY computer desk, you will need such materials as wooden planks, a saw, screws, sandpaper, and paint or sealant. The first thing you need to do is to saw the planks to the desired size. Next, sand down the edges of the planks so that they are smooth. Then, screw the planks together to create the tabletop. Be sure to leave enough space between the planks so that your computer can breathe. Lastly, you need to add a coat of paint or sealant to protect the wood from water damage.
Vintage sewing machine desk:
This is a great idea for those who love vintage items. You'll need an old sewing machine, a few pieces of wood, and some screws. First, attach the wood to the sewing machine using the screws. Next, add some legs to the sewing machine so that it's raised off the ground. Be sure to measure twice and cut once so that the legs are even. The last step for your computer desk made of the sewing machine is to add any desired finishes (paint, etc.).
Yes, you can use it as a computer desk as well! All you need to do is to attach some shelves to the wall. Be sure to use heavy-duty screws so that the shelves can hold the weight of your computer. You may also want to add a shelf for your keyboard and mouse. Floating shelves are very comfortable because of their ergonomic design.
How do I build a cool computer desk?
For those who get down to business seriously, we have prepared detailed instructions with all the needed aspects. You will need such materials:
- MDF or plywood;
- screws and dowels;
- wood glue;
- furniture legs;
- belt sander (optional);
- stain, varnish, or paint (optional).
How will you make it:
- If you have basic woodworking skills, you can make a computer desk from scratch. But it's much easier (and faster) to buy a pre-made desktop and modify it to your needs. For our project, we used a 1.8 m long by 0.6 m wide desktop made of MDF. We bought it at a local home improvement store for about $30. You can also find a suitable desktop on websites like Craigslist or Freecycle.
- The first step is to make the necessary cuts in the desktop. We cut our desktop in half lengthwise to create two 0.9 m by 0.6 m pieces. Then we made a diagonal cut in one of the pieces to create a trapezoid-shaped piece that would be used for the keyboard tray.
- With the remaining rectangle-shaped piece, we made two more cuts: one for the CPU tower and another for the power strip/surge protector. These two cuts can be any size you want, but we made ours about 20 cm by 20 cm and 15 cm by 15 cm respectively.
- Next, we drilled four holes in each of the pieces we just cut. These holes will be used to attach the pieces to the main desktop using screws and dowels.
- Once all the holes have been drilled, it's time to start assembling the desk. We started by attaching the keyboard tray piece to the main desktop using screws and dowels. Then we attached the CPU tower piece and the power strip piece in the same way.
- To finish off the desk, we added some furniture legs to the underside of the desktop. We also decided to give our desk a bit of character by adding some stain and varnish. And that's it! Your very own custom computer desk! If you want a more professional look, you can use paint instead of stain and varnish.
Now that you have all the necessary materials and tools, it's time to start building your very own custom computer desk! Follow the steps outlined above and you'll have a great-looking desk in no time.
How expensive is it to build a desk?
New, we pay about $250 for materials and supplies, but if you have good deal-hunting skills and any old parts around, you can get everything for less than $150. That's roughly half the price of a similar store-bought desk. Building a desk from scratch may sound daunting, but with a little bit of creativity and some elbow grease, it's easy to do. Plus, you'll end up with a desk that's uniquely yours and exactly what you need. So whether you're looking for computer desk ideas or general office desk ideas, don't be afraid to get creative and build your own!
Is plywood strong enough for a desk?
A 19mm thick plywood sheet is the ideal balance between stiffness and strength. In most cases, this thickness provides enough strength to keep your desk sturdy without warping. If you're worried about your desk being too weak, you can always add reinforcement in the form of supports or crossbeams. However, if you're just looking for a simple desk that's easy to build, 19mm plywood is a good choice. As you can see, there are many different ways to build a custom computer desk. With a little bit of creativity and some elbow grease, you can easily create a desk that's perfect for your needs. So don't be afraid to get creative and build your own!
What height should a desk be?
What is normal desk height? The usual desk height is between 28 and 30 inches tall. These desks are appropriate for people who are 5'8" and 5'10." If you are taller or shorter than this range, you may need to adjust the height of your desk. For example, if you are 6'0" tall, you may want to use a taller desk so that your thighs don't hit the bottom of the desktop. Conversely, if you are 5'6" tall, you may want to use a shorter desk so that your arms can rest comfortably on the desktop. Ultimately, the best way to determine the ideal desk height for you is to try out different heights and see what feels comfortable.
How thick should a desk be?
Desktop thicknesses range from 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". Obviously, the thicker the top, the stronger it will be. As for material, since your desk is modest, you may use whatever you like! This will also add to the overall look you're going for. We suggest 3/4" MDF with an edge banding of 1/8" hardwood or aluminum. This gives your desktop a clean look, is inexpensive, and will result in a strong, finished product.
Making your computer desk look nice
Styling your computer desk is even more important than how organized it is. If you have a beautiful, well-organized desk, but it looks like a total mess, it will reflect poorly on you and your work habits. Conversely, even if your desk is cluttered and unorganized, if it looks stylish and put together, it will give off the impression that you are a creative person who is not afraid to take risks.
Here are some tips for making your computer desk look its best:
- Get rid of any old magazines or newspapers that are taking up space on your desk. Either recycle them or donate them to a local library or school.
- Invest in some nice-looking storage containers for your desk supplies. This could include a pencil cup, a paper tray, and a catch-all tray for miscellaneous items.
- Add some green to your desk with a plant or two. Not only will this add color and life to your space, but it can also help to purify the air in your home office.
- Hang up some art on the walls near your desk, or prop up a few framed photos on your desk itself. This will personalize your space and make it feel more like yours.
- Get a comfortable chair that you enjoy sitting in. This is especially important if you spend long hours at your desk. Your chair should be adjustable so that you can find the perfect position for working.
- Finally, keep your desk clean and clutter-free. This will help you to stay focused and productive while you're working.
By following these tips, you can make your computer desk look its best. By taking the time to style your desk, you'll create a space that is both stylish and functional.