If you're looking for a creative way to spruce up your home, consider making your own corner shelf! This project is relatively easy to do and only requires a few materials. Plus, it's a great way to show off your personality and style.
What are the different types of corner shelves?
There are many different types of corner shelves that you can make, depending on your needs and preferences. For example, some people prefer to have a corner shelf that is purely decorative, while others may want a more functional shelf that can hold items like books or plants. Here are some different types of corner shelves that you may want to consider:
- Decorative corner shelf: This type of shelf is typically made from wood or metal and is meant to be displayed as a piece of home decor. It may be adorned with intricate designs or simply left plain.
- Floating corner shelf: A floating shelf is one that appears to "float" on the wall without the use of brackets or supports. This type of shelf is easy to install and can be used to display things like books, vases, or picture frames.
- Glass corner shelf: A glass corner shelf is a great way to add a touch of elegance to your home. It can be used to display things like perfume bottles or crystal glasses.
- Ladder corner shelf: A ladder corner shelf is a unique and stylish way to add storage to your home. It's perfect for small spaces because it takes up very little floor space.
- Corner shelving unit: A shelving unit is a great option if you need a lot of storage space. This type of shelf can be made from wood, metal, or plastic and can be placed in any room of your home.
Now that you know a little bit more about the different types of corner shelves, let's take a look at how you can make your own!
How do you make your own standing corner shelf?
Whether you are starting from scratch or using an existing shelf, there are a few things you will need:
- A level
- A drill
- 1" screws
- A saw (if you're starting from scratch)
- Paint or wood stain (optional)
If you're starting from scratch, use a saw to cut your wood to the desired size and shape. Make sure to sand the edges down so they are smooth. Once you have your piece of wood, it's time to start attaching the brackets. For this project, we used L-brackets. Place the bracket in the corner of the wood and mark where you need to drill. We recommend using at least two screws per bracket for extra stability.
Now that your brackets are attached, it's time to level your shelf. This is important so that your items don't look crooked when you put them on the shelf. To do this, simply use a level and adjust the brackets until your shelf is level. Once your shelf is level, you can add paint or wood stain (if desired). Let the paint or stain dry completely before adding any decorations or items to the shelf.
And that's it! Your new corner shelf is ready to be used however you'd like. Whether you use it to display family photos, store books, or show off your favorite trinkets, this DIY project is sure to add personality to any space.
How do you support a shelf in a corner?
The corner shelves should be attached to the support battens, with the shelf in position, using a small screw halfway between the marks. If necessary, countersink the top side of the shelf and drill a hole halfway between the marks and its edge. Suspend the shelf on two screws. At least one of these screws should be long enough to go through the thickness of the shelf, into a stud in the wall. Finally, add a screw at each mark.
Another alternative for you to support a shelf in a corner is by using L brackets. These are available in different sizes at most hardware stores. To use them, simply screw the bracket into the wall at the desired height and then attach your shelf to the bracket. You can also create a corner shelf unit by nailing or screwing three boards together in an L shape. Then, just add some finishing touches like paint or stain, and you've got yourself a nice-looking piece of furniture.
Finally, you can try using a tension rod to create a corner shelf. To do this, screw a hook into the wall at the desired height. Then, place the tension rod on the hook and stretch it out to the other side of the room. Next, take a piece of fabric or ribbon and tie it around the tension rod. Finally, drape your shelves over the fabric and you're all set!
Creating a DIY corner shelf is a great way to add extra storage space to your home without taking up too much space. Plus, it's a relatively easy project that can be completed in just a few hours. So if you're looking for a quick and easy way to spruce up your home, then consider making a DIY corner shelf!
How do you make an L-shaped shelf?
If you want your corner shelf to be L-shaped, here we have prepared the full instruction for you to make it with metal and wood. Materials you will need:
- 1”x 2” wood (we used cherry, you can use any wood of your preference)
- Tape measure
- Miter saw or hand saw
- Hand drill with 3/32” bit
- Paint or stain
- Cordless screw gun with 1” screws
- Cordless drill with 3/32” bit and Phillips head attachment
- Start by measuring the length of each wall in your corner. Ours were 96” long, so we cut our boards to 96 5/8” to account for the ¾” thick shelf.
- Cut your horizontal and vertical supports using a miter saw or hand saw. The horizontal supports will be the 96 5/8” boards, and the vertical supports will be cut to fit snugly between the top and bottom of the horizontal supports.
- Now it’s time to mark where you will drill your holes. For our shelf, we decided to space our holes 6” apart. To make sure they were level, we used a laser leveler.
- Once your marks are made, use a hand drill with a 3/32” bit to start each hole.
- Now it’s time to start assembling your shelf! Begin by attaching the vertical supports to the horizontal ones using 1” screws and your cordless screw gun.
- Once all the supports are in place, it’s time to add the shelves. We cut our shelves to 12” x 96 5/8”, but you can adjust the size to fit your needs.
- Use a cordless drill with a 3/32” bit and Phillips head attachment to attach the shelves to the supports.
- That’s it! Your new corner shelf is now complete. All that’s left to do is paint or stain it to match your décor.
How can you make a DIY floating corner shelf?
If you want a floating corner shelf in your home but don't want to spend a lot of money, you can make one yourself! All you need is some basic woodworking skills and materials, and you can have a beautiful corner shelf in no time. Here's what you'll need to make a DIY floating corner shelf:
- A piece of wood (we used MDF, but you could use plywood or another type of wood)
- A saw (to cut the wood to size)
- Sandpaper (to smooth out the edges of the wood)
- Paint or stain (to finish the shelf)
- Brackets (to attach the shelf to the wall)
- Screws (to attach the brackets to the wall)
- Cut the wood to size using a saw. We cut our piece of MDF to be 24" x 24". It may be helpful to mark the measurements on the wood before you start cutting.
- Smooth out the edges of the wood with sandpaper. This will help prevent splinters and make the shelf look nicer.
- Paint or stain the wood to your desired finish. We chose to paint ours white.
- Attach brackets to the back of the shelf, using screws. Make sure that the brackets are evenly spaced and that they're positioned so that the shelf will be level when it's hung on the wall.
- Hang the shelf on the wall using screws, making sure that it is level.
- Add items to your new corner shelf!
There you have it - a simple DIY floating corner shelf that you can make yourself! This shelf is perfect for displaying photos, plants, or other small items. It's a great way to add some extra storage to your home without spending a lot of money.
How do you build shelves when a corner is out of the square?
These shelves are great for small or oddly shaped spaces. You can make these shelves any size you need and they're easy to build! You will need the following materials and tools:
To start, measure the space you want to put your shelves in. Cut the plywood to fit the space and then screw it into the wall. Make sure that the screws are going into studs so that the shelves are sturdy.
Now it's time to start building! Cut pieces of wood to fit the shelves and then screw them into place. You can make these shelves any depth you want, just make sure that the pieces of wood are cut to size. And that's it! Your new corner shelves are ready to use. Fill them with books, plants, or whatever you like, and enjoy your new storage space!
How do you maximize a corner space?
When you feel like you have too much stuff and not enough storage, it can be frustrating. And if you live in a small home or apartment, that feeling can be even more intense. One way to create additional storage space is to build a DIY corner shelf. A corner shelf is a great way to utilize unused space in your home. It can be used to store books, knick-knacks, or plants. You can even use it as a bar area or coffee station. If you’re feeling creative, you can use it as a photo gallery or art display. The possibilities are endless!
Building a corner shelf is a relatively easy project that can be completed in a weekend. All you need is some basic carpentry skills and a few tools. With a little time and effort, you can create a beautiful and functional piece of furniture that will add storage and style to your home.
You can also build a custom closet that will allow you to maximize your corner space. This is a great option if you need a lot of storage or if you want to create a more sophisticated look. There are many different closet systems available, so you can choose one that meets your needs and fits your budget. If you’re not into DIY projects, there are plenty of ready-made corner shelves available for purchase. You can find these at most home improvement stores or online retailers. Just be sure to measure your space before you buy to make sure the shelf will fit properly. Whether you build it yourself or buy it ready-made, a corner shelf is a great way to add storage and style to your home. So get creative and make the most of that unused space in the corner!
You can also create a reading nook that will allow you to maximize your corner space. This is a great way to utilize unused space in your home. It can be used to store books, knick-knacks, or plants. You can even use it as a bar area or coffee station. If you’re feeling creative, you can use it as a photo gallery or art display. The possibilities are endless!
A banquette seating would be another good idea when it comes to utilizing your corner space. This is a great way to create additional storage space as well as extra seating for guests. You can find banquette seats at most home improvement stores or online retailers. Just be sure to measure your space before you buy to make sure the seat will fit properly. With a little time and effort, you can create a beautiful and functional piece of furniture that will add storage and style to your home.
When it comes to utilizing your corner space, there are many different options available. You can build a DIY corner shelf, install a custom closet, or purchase a ready-made shelf. You can also create a reading nook or Banquette seating. With a little time and effort, you can create a beautiful and functional piece of furniture that will add storage and style to your home. So get creative and make the most of that unused space in the corner!